Frogs and toads: frequent questions

0

Will dogs and cats eat toads?

They probably won’t eat one. Toads produce a toxic skin secretion that tastes very bitter. Your dog (or cat) would immediately spit it out. Still, the toxin (bufotoxin) in your pet’s mouth can produce miserable symptoms. The more extreme the signs, the quicker you should get him to a vet. It’s rare for a dog or cat to die from a toad’s toxin, but it’s best to be safe. Small pets are more at risk than larger ones.

If you suspect toad poisoning, use a garden hose to flush your pet’s mouth. Be sure to hold his head down, so the water isn’t swallowed or inhaled. Use your fingers to rub the gums and mouth to help remove the toxin.

Symptoms of pet distress from biting or licking a toad:

  • Hallucinations: acting strangely
  • Foamy salivation
  • Head shaking
  • Crying
  • Seizure
  • Collapse
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
Share.
Verified by ExactMetrics